Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Do you want to make some toss pillows?

I can purchase pillow forms from an online wholesaler.  I had ordered some a few years ago for a customer, and she was pleased with them ... I think she ordered the down filled forms ... 

This week, I ordered some regular poly-filled forms, because they were more affordable and I knew they could be washed and dried as needed. I plan to turn a spare bedroom into a playroom, and wanted to use the bed as a day-bed, so needed pillows to dress it up.

Imagine my surprise when the smaller, 16" x 16" pillow forms arrived ... six of them ... in a box that I thought must hold only two!  And then I opened the box ... and found what appeared to be six flat, seemingly-deflated, balloons! But they were not as light as deflated balloons would have been...and so I tentatively reached into the box and drew one out.

It was a wrapped white fabric (I thought,) wrapped in a clear plastic bag. When I slit the bag open, nothing happened ... until I pulled the item out of its plastic wrapper ... it began to decompress ~ it had been vacuum-sealed into the wrapper. I had my doubts ... I'd seen vacuum-sealed vegetables at my mother-in-law's house years ago,  and while the bag was deflated, the green beans had their same size and shape, before and after opening.  But within moments, the pillow form achieved its intended shape and size ... I measured it ... and then struggled to put it into the fabric cover I'd made for it. It fit perfectly, and retained its shape!  When I opened the second one, I put it into its fabric cover more quickly, before it reached full size, and it was a bit easier!

I've made four pillows so far, and will make a few more to fill out the look of the intended day-bed. In time, my grandchildren will perhaps enjoy their soft cushy nest. Meanwhile, I'll order more pillow forms and make some up for gifts.

The forms took only two business days to arrive. If you want some, let me know what size you'd like. And if you're not sure how to make a pillow, I'll be happy to show you a way with just fabric, no zipper. If you'd rather a zipper, we can figure that out together, too.

I'll price these forms to agree with the regular retail price at fabric shops, but remember, you'll always get your Quilters' Quarters discount! 
Yes, that sad looking thing on the right is the pillow form

But to its left is a pillow made with one of these 'flat' forms! 
It fills out nicely and fairly quickly once the
plastic wrapper is removed!
left

Two sixteen inch and two twenty-two inch pillows ...
it's a start!

You'll find a complete size and price list, but for a start here are a few of the sizes available at the online warehouse ... I can order what you would like and it will be here within a matter of days.

Pillow Form Size
Poly-filled
Feather/Down filled


16” square
$11.99
$18.50
18” square
$14.50
$23.50
22” square
18.99
$36.00
24” square
$20.99
$40.00

No comments:

Post a Comment