Friday, November 17, 2017

Quilters' Quarters ends its Fourth Year, and Begins a New Fifth with a New Format

They say if a business is still running in the red after five years, it is a failure. I don't like the word failure ... I think it is more related to the state of the retail world than a particular business ... brick and mortar small businesses have to compete with big box corporations that can buy in bulk at vastly reduced prices and a wider variety of goods, and so sell at lower prices while still meeting and exceeding their costs. To not be able to compete with such an unlevel playing field does not define a failure ... it defines a need to re-evaluate, and re-configure.

I didn't open Quilters' Quarters with an eye toward reaping a profit ... I have already worked a full career and have earned my pension, and am not depending on the shop to generate money for groceries or other necessities. I opened it in part to widen the customer base for Rick's Wooden Toy and Gift shop ... and I opened it to provide a local place where quilters could find quality fabric, threads, tools and notions at reasonable retail prices. 


Quilters' Quarters is presently a sole proprietorship ... as was Wooden Toy and Gift. But today, that means it has become a solo act. Rick is no longer here to 'spell' me ... and his sign that reads "Buy them all; we can make more!" can no longer fulfill that promise ... his goods are now dwindling and finite in number and will soon be put away for our grandchildren. 


I live here on the property, and 'regulars' know that, whether the sign says open or closed, they can always call me and drop by to get what they need. For 2017, I've been offering two ongoing discounts: one is twenty percent off for any fabric cut from the bolt, and the other is 50% off for any fabric cut for a charity project. This is a small town and I am involved in various quilting communities, all doing charity work and also routine friends and family work, I can use the honor system relative to the wholesale pricing for charity work. I don't have a staff to pay ... l can turn off the lights when I'm not in the shop ... my utilities are kept in check. I'm beginning to plan, since my husband's death on Christmas morning, toward changing my identity from a retail shop to a collaborative, where quilters can come and share questions and ideas, skills and talents, tools and patterns. 


For 2018, I envision the shop as more of a gathering place, where fabrics can be purchased and shared closer to wholesale 100% of the time ... where one day a long arm machine can be housed and used by local quilters who want to do their own quilting ... where workshops and sew - ins can be housed comfortably. I will still schedule with fabric reps who will bring their samples but perhaps more often display them to a group of quilters rather than just to one person, and orders can be placed to accomodate the tastes and wishes of the group. 


The shop will be opened when people want to shop, be it early mornings or late evenings, but ... there may be times when someone other than myself is able to open it and host others within. There may be times when I am traveling, but other locals will have a key and access to the shop, and locals will know they are welcome whether I'm in town or not. Quilting workshops will have a space where projects can be begun and left and returned to without having to be packed up to serve a family dinner. 


There will be some travelers who may still find the shop through published quilt shop directories, and they, too, will always be welcome to shop here, catch as catch can without a set schedule of hours. The prices will continue to reflect the 20-50% discounts for all quilters. 


I look forward to more time with my young quilters, and with those at the senior center. I ask patience from those who would prefer a set schedule of hours, as I no longer can offer that, once I end this 2017 current schedule of Thursday through Saturday. I encourage all to use the telephone to call and advise me when you would like to stop in at Quilters' Quarters, and I will do my best to be here for you. 


Sincerely,

Terry Crawford Palardy, owner, Quilters' Quarters, Georgetown, MA.
978-352-2676    needlesandpens@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment