Friday, September 3, 2021

Time to say 'The End'

 


Quilters' Quarters is presently closed for the rest of Summer (and contrary to meteorologists on television, Summer does not end on September 1st, but on the real Autumnal Equinox in late September.) The shop will re-open on September 23rd.

When that happens, all fabric will be sold at 40% discount to all customers. Checks and Cash please, as my Credit Card reader is inconsistent at best. 

Thursday through Saturday, noon to 5pm, will be the hours for the Fall Season. And when Fall ends (Winter Solstice is the third week of December,) the shop will begin closing down, with the end point on New Year's Eve of 2021.

Quilters' Quarters began as a subset of Wooden Toys and Gifts, Rick Palardy's workshop. For five years, from my retirement from Andover Public Schools in  2011 to Rick's sudden death in 2016, Rick and I worked together in the shop, expanding the building to accommodate the shelving and cabinets that Rick built to hold fabric and notions in the front of the shop, and lumber racks, stock and machinery in the newer back of the shop where he continued running the toy workshop he had begun in 1995. He began with wooden ornaments, battery-free wooden toys, doll houses and doll furniture, child size rocking motorcycles, wooden sleighs with bentwood runners,  toy boxes, and eventually quilt racks, sewing machine cases, custom furniture and public display cases as seen in the main floor of the Georgetown Town Hall and Police Station.  He then began more intricate pieces of wood art, including scroll saw art such as his Plaques Honoring American Heroes (military and public service awards.)

When Rick died suddenly on Christmas Day of 2016, we lost our toy making Santa, and the love of my life. I've done what I could to continue his legacy, but five years alone in the shop is all I can give. I appreciate the patience of all of our friends who have supported the shop, often contributing spare change and dollars via the shop to the Public School Lunch Program, the Friends of the Library, the Rick Palardy Scholarship Fund for high school graduates seeking careers that benefit the public good, and other charitable organizations. 

I look forward to seeing many of you again this Autumn, for our last season in Quilters' Quarters / Wooden Toys and Gifts. 

~Terry



1 comment:

  1. Oh Terry, so sad to see that you've decided to close. I haven't been very active in the quilting department this summer and frankly I just don't get out shopping as much as I used to. This Covid virus has been so hard for small businesses although I know that isn't the reason you are closing. I will miss stopping in - and hope to get there before you close for good. Janice

    ReplyDelete