Sunday, September 2, 2018

Happy Labor Day!

And happy back to school week for most families. Whether you have children or grandchildren, nieces or nephews or even the great-grands, there are always children to quilt for. And many adults appreciate quilts as gifts, too!



Quilters' Quarters is involved in a few quilting groups. Some of us meet twice a month to work on the Juvenile Emergency Comfort Quilts that we provide to the Georgetown MA Fire and Police vehicles. Another group meets once a month to collaborate on lap quilts and/or wall hangings to be presented to our local military veterans.  And when I hear that someone in town is reaching the age of 100 years, I make them a Centennarian Quilt!

In my family, I've made many quilts for 60th birthdays, and others to comfort those facing significant illnesses or surgeries. Grandchildren, of course have each received a few from me, as have several newborns in my extended family. And friends with grandchildren sometimes need a hand in making quilts.

One of my friends was surprised when she asked me to make a T-Shirt quilt from her collection ... my answer was the surprise. I told her I would gladly coach her through the steps involved in such a project, as the memories in those T-Shirt belongs to her and her husband, and deserved their attention and care. As we worked together on cutting and stabilizing and arranging the shirts, the stories flowed, the memories blossomed, , her pride in her accomplishment shone and the quilts will have so much more meaning as a result. 

Another customer came and asked if I would help her make a wedding wall hanging for her niece, and in a matter of a month she had learned how to cut with a rotary cutter and ruler, how to add sashing to a block, how to shirr fabric to border a machine-embroidered center, and how to back, quilt and bind the piece. It was a lovely accomplishment for someone who had little time but much desire to provide a special heirloom for her niece. The wedding invitation sent by the bride was the focus for the colors and theme of the wall hanging ... serendipity!

So if you are wondering what type of quilt you might make, or wishing I had provided more photos of these individuals' accomplishments, come into the shop and I'll show you the fabrics involved in such quilts.  Sometimes an idea comes from a family photo, or from a favorite fabric, or even an article of clothing.

As always, thanks for reading my shop's blog. Please feel free to forward this email (if you're reading this in email) or share the url of the page with your friends and family. And if the posted schedule doesn't work for you, give me a call and we can set up a time more convenient to your own schedule.

~ Terry Crawford Palardy 



No comments:

Post a Comment